24 Latine-Owned Brands to Shop On Thirteen Lune

24 Latine-Owned Brands to Shop On Thirteen Lune

As POPSUGAR editors, we independently select and write about stuff we love and think you’ll like too. If you buy a product we have recommended, we may receive affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.

Amid the Black Lives Matter protests and nationwide criticism of America’s systemic racism that took place in 2020, the beauty industry was called out for discriminatory practices, “opportunity gaps,” and their failures in serving BIPOC consumers. In response, Thirteen Lune — an e-commerce platform spotlighting Black and Brown-owned beauty businesses — launched as part of a larger wave of innovation to address these issues.

Nyakio Grieco, who launched Thirteen Lune in December 2020 alongside fellow cofounder Patrick Herning, says she frequently saw herself and her own brand, Nyakio Beauty, included alongside others in listicles of Black-owned businesses to shop. Still, there was “no one central hub” — or one-stop shop — to make finding these brands and shopping from them easier for consumers.

Grieco calls Thirteen Lune the “first of its kind,” as it uses a 90/10 rule to differentiate the items it features: 90 percent of all products on the site are created by BIPOC founders and the remaining 10 percent are from brands dedicated to fostering allyship. Steadily expanding since its launch, Thirteen Lune completed its rollout at 607 JCPenny stores nationwide and opened its flagship store in Los Angeles earlier this year.

“As we expand the Thirteen Lune brand, we are thrilled to continue amplifying deserving beauty founders and brands,” Grieco tells POPSUGAR.

As the company grows, Latine brands and consumers have been at the forefront of Thirteen Lune’s site as well.

“Latinx heritage is so robust and varied across the diaspora. We aim to create a diverse space through our product range highlighting Latinx, Latina, and Hispanic-founded brands to help our customers better see themselves reflected on the shelf,” Grieco says. “All of our Latinx-owned brands are inspired by heritage and use ingredients that work for all skin types, tones, and care,” she says.

Research from a 2021 Nielsen study states Latine consumers drove the consumption of cosmetics during the pandemic and consistently spent more on beauty than the average consumer, making the community an important market for retailers. Thirteen Lune features 24 Latine-owned brands, many of which offer an array of unique products inspired by each founder’s culture and heritage. On the site, you can find products reimagined from ancestral home recipes with ingredients originating from all over Latin America and the Caribbean, including cacahuananche, arnica, and maracuja.

To shop all the bestselling Latine brands on Thirteen Lune — and these brands’ bestselling products — read on and check out all the different items to enjoy, ranging from hair and skin care to makeup and face sculpting tools.

Source link